Every operating system allows you to lock the computer screen so that you can leave all the programs and files open without worrying about someone accessing or reading your important documents, when you are away from your workstation.
Locking your computer screen is much easier than logging off and again restarting your system, and again reopening the closed files. To lock your computer screen, you would normally press Window Button + L. And to unlock your PC, you will again need to enter the set password assigned to the user account.
What if you would be able lock your computer simply using a mouse click? This trick discusses How to Lock Your Computer Using Mouse with just a simple desktop shortcut key. Some of you might be aware of this trick, still it makes some difference to people who have recently started using the computers; especially the students.
- All you need to do is just right click on your desktop and select New
- Now, drag the cursor to Shortcut and click on it
- A New Create Shortcut Window will pop up
- You will be prompted to ‘Type the location’ of the item in the dialog box
- Simply, copy and paste “rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation”; make sure to remove the quotes
- Now, when you have entered the aforementioned highlighted text in the dialog box, click on Next
- You will be asked to give a Name for this Shortcut. Enter the desired name (like I Gave Lock My PC) and click on Finish
- Now the shortcut key will appear on your desktop and is ready to use.
- Double click on the New Shortcut Icon with the name you entered, automatically the computer screen will be locked without the use of Window Button + L.